Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sean Huze Response



            My initial response to this is not very nice.  I think that there are a lot of great stories in the play that have a right to be told.  We all know that soldiers at war can out-swear a sailor any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I think that the use of profanity in this play is far beyond excessive.  The very same message could have been portrayed with way less than half of the profanity.  I don’t mind reading the foul language every now and then, but to have some conjugated form of the word “fuck” every five or six words is no less than repulsive.  I felt like I had to take a shower after I read it.  I remember the stories having a huge impact on those that they involved, but I don’t remember the stories, just the language.  I feel that the writer, Sean Huze, was not a writer, rather someone who wrote some words and called it a play.  I know that war is abrasive, cruel, and uncaring but move onto something other than the swearing.  Yes I am an adult and I have heard and said all of these profane words before; that doesn’t mean I want to read them.  Language of this nature stays in your head, now and I am sure in many years to come when this play or Sean Huze come up in conversation all I will think of is the nasty language.  The characters in the play seem very real, as I am sure they are.  I felt that I could connect with the characters because they were people have similar thoughts and feelings that I think I might have in similar situation.  There was one character in one of the stories that I felt bad for.  Private First Class Weems.  In the story there are two other soldiers gambling and one says he is done.  The other is egging him on to keep playing.  PFC Weems says, “Don’t listen to him man.  He is just trying to get the rest of your cash.” (Huze 11).  After this comment is made both of the soldiers that had been throwing dice laid into him with harsh comments.  He simply made a remark of an obvious nature and he was ridiculed for it.  This made me feel bad for him.  All in all I think that given future chances to read Sean Huze, I would have to decline them.  This is only my opinion, there are other opinions of Sean  Huze

Image: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1350&bih=599&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&aq=f&aqi=g5g-m5&oq=&q=soldiers%20in%20iraq

No comments:

Post a Comment