Saturday, March 26, 2011


This class was an extremely big struggle for me.  I have had a very hard time with some of the assignments.  The main reasons that I have had such a hard time are, I am too logical and literal for poetry; I don’t like saying “this is what the author means…” and I just suck at comparing two different types of writings.  These are some of my biggest weaknesses, so English 102 is just about the limit of my patience.  I have been stressed since day one of this class.  I am not a writer, I do not aspire to write, and I do not want to judge what other people write.  For me this is just another class that I need to pass so I can do what I enjoy.  That is what has challenged me so far.  I would have to say that my greatest success has been the fact that I didn’t drop the class.  I would also say that I have been successful in getting a good grade. 
The readings in this class have very much been outside the realm of my typical reading.  I really enjoyed Tim O’Brien, his book The Things They Carried has really opened my eyes to some realities of the Vietnam War.  I think I will keep that book so my kids can read it when they get older.  I have never liked poetry and I still dislike it.  As far as the play we read, I am not sure that I will seek out anything else by Sean Huze.  Literary analysis is very different from the other types of writing that I have done in college.  I think the big difference is that with the other writing I have done it has been factual writing and literary analysis is more of using the writings to support your opinion.  I am not a fan of writing, let alone writing my opinion of another’s writing. In the second half of the year it is my goal to continue with good getting good grades and to become more comfortable with analyzing writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment