Sunday, February 6, 2011

Few Truer Words


            I have many of the very same beliefs that Hamill expresses in the essay.  I agree whole heartedly that people become what they see in their upbringing.  I know that I am an exception to the rule so to speak; I took the bad things I saw my dad do when I was young and I used that to fuel my fire in becoming a better man.  I have seen exactly what he is talking about I had a friend who was beaten as a child by his step-father, once he had children of his own he abused them as well as his wife.  He makes the subtle hint that there is a certain amount of corruption coming to us through our televisions; I could not agree more.  My wife and I do not allow our kids to watch mainstream TV for that very reason.  My kids get to watch two movies per day, and the movies that they watch are mostly Disney. I think that is more important that my kids go outside and play or play a sport rather than a video game.  He went on a little tangent in reference to homophobia; I cannot say that I condone the lifestyle of homosexuality, but I do believe that people have free will and if someone chooses to be gay it is not my place to tell them to be different than that.  I do not think people should be feared or persecuted for a belief or a lifestyle choice, even if it is one that I disagree with.  I have never been much of a writer and he obviously was.  I think that writing my thoughts could be an avenue that I might explore.  “Writing is a form of human communication expressing ideas regarding the human condition.”  I think that I have neglected this form of communication for too long, time to stretch my limits.


http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/733

No comments:

Post a Comment